Moissanite and diamonds are both popular gemstones for men’s jewellery, but there are some key differences between the two. When comparing moissanite vs diamond, the best choice for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. If you are looking for a stone that is affordable, has a lot of sparkle, and is less likely to show visible blemishes, then moissanite may be a good option for you. If you are
looking for a stone that is considered to be a natural gemstone and has a long history of being used in jewellery, then a diamond may be a better choice for you.
- More affordable than diamonds. Moissanite is a lab-created gemstone that is made from silicon carbide. It is very similar to a diamond in appearance, but it is much more affordable.
- More brilliant and sparkly than diamonds. Moissanite has a higher refractive index than a diamond, which means that it reflects light in a more brilliant way. This gives moissanite a “sparkle” that is often described as being “fire.”
- Very durable. Moissanite is also less likely to show visible blemishes than a diamond. This is because moissanite is a synthetic stone, and it is not subject to the same imperfections that can occur in natural diamonds.
- Ethically sourced. Diamonds have a long and controversial history, with many diamonds being mined in conflict zones or using unethical labour practices. Moissanite is a lab-grown stone, which means that it is not mined and does not have the same ethical concerns as diamonds.
- Not as rare as diamonds
- Can be more difficult to find in larger sizes
- More rare than moissanite
- Considered to be a more traditional gemstone
- Available in a wider variety of colours and cuts
- More expensive than moissanite
- Not as brilliant or sparkly as moissanite
- Can be mined in unethical ways
Ultimately, the best choice for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. If you are looking for a more affordable, brilliant, and ethical gemstone, then moissanite may be a good option for you. If you are looking for a more rare, traditional, and versatile gemstone, then a diamond may be a better choice.
Here are some additional things to consider when choosing between moissanite and diamonds for men’s jewellery:
- Size: Moissanite is about 15% lighter than a diamond of the same size, so you may need to choose a slightly larger moissanite to get the same visual effect.
- Cut: Both moissanite and diamonds can be cut in a variety of shapes, but some cuts are more popular for men’s jewellery than others. For example, the round brilliant cut is a popular choice for both men and women, while the princess cut is a more masculine option.
- Setting: The setting of your jewellery can also affect the overall look and feel of the piece. For example, a solitaire setting will showcase the gemstone in all its glory, while a halo setting will add additional sparkle and dimension.
No matter which gemstone you choose, make sure to buy from a reputable jeweller who can help you find the perfect piece for your needs.